Welcome to the Sandusky County Y
It's Where You Belong.
Come to the Y and check out our fitness center, track, gym, tennis court or racquetball court; or try one of our many fitness programs - like Yoga, ZUMBA, Indoor Group Cycling, AQUA ZUMBA, Step, Y PUMP, Resistance Ball, Boot Camp, Aqua X, and Water Aerobics.
We also have classes geared toward adults 62+ which emphasize fitness, fun, and friendship.
At the Sandusky County YMCA, there is something for everyone. Join today and start taking advantage of the Y's value for you and your family.
SUMMER SWIM LESSONS!
REGISTRATION BEGINS MAY 22 FOR ALL SUMMER SESSIONS!
NOT ALL SWIM LESSONS ARE ALIKE!
Here's just a few things that make us different at the Y.
- Safety and rescue training taught in all levels
- Every instructor is YSL-I trained with a combined 50+ years of teaching
- We offer both one-on-one and group lessons for your convenience- in easy 3-week summer sessions to fit around your busy summer plans!
- We build relationships and develop character
Summer Program Flyer
Our Summer Program Flyer is HERE!
YMCA Child Development Center Wins State Award for Excellence in Early Care and Education
This spring our Child Development Center earned their second star in the Step Up to Quality- Three-Star Quality Rating System. You can read more below.
Fremont 75/14/13- In recognition of excellence and an ongoing commitment to children, YMCA Child Development Center has received a Two-Star Step Up To Quality Award from the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services, Bureau of Child Care and Development, the state agency responsible for licensing and promoting high standards among Ohio’s early care and education programs.
The Child Development Center provides a high-quality early care and education program that goes above and beyond Ohio's licensing standards. By reaching for the start, The Child Development Center is helping the youngest children develop in a warm, nurturing environment that fosters growth and a love for learning.
Step Up To Quality is Ohio’s rating system for early care and education programs. Participants can earn a one, two or three-Star Rating by meeting an extensive list of quality benchmarks. Experts say these benchmarks improve the growth and development potential of children. The rating system also gives parents a useful tool for selecting quality early childhood programs.
Two-Star Step Up To Quality programs meet these criteria:
- A ratio of one teacher for every five infants (ages birth-12 months), one teacher for every six infants (ages 12-18 months), one teacher for every 7 toddlers (ages 18-36 months), one teacher for every 10 preschoolers (36-48 months), one teacher for every 12 preschoolers (48-60 months), and one teacher for every 16 school-aged children (ages 5-15 years)
- Half of the lead teachers have an AA Degree in Early Childhood Education or related field or meet a Career Pathways Level 3. (Career Pathways is a statewide system for quantifying the former education, experience and training of early childhood professionals. It is used as an alternative to holding the specified degree in Step Up To Quality Benchmarks.)
- Teachers plan learning activities with Ohio's Early Learning Content Standards and Infant & Toddler Guidelines
- Teachers and administrators receive 20 hours of specialized training every two years
- To reduce staff turnover, the program provides at least 2 employee benefits to staff members
“YMCA Child Development Center is honored to become Star Rated. Our focus has always been on expanding children's knowledge and skills. This Two-Star award lets families know that our dedication to children has been documented and is more than just lip-service," said Lisa Giesler and Lynn Dillon, Co-Directors.
As more parents join the workforce, more children are cared for outside the home. In Ohio, 65% of children under the age of six have both parents in the workforce. At the same time, 90% of brain development occurs before age six.
Children enrolled in high quality early learning programs, particularly low income children, are more likely to stay in school, attend college, earn more money and be employed in more high-skilled jobs than their peers.
Step Up To Quality is available statewide.
Visit www.stepuptoquality.org for more information.
One Step Makes A Difference
At the Y, we want to make a difference by reducing the amount of paper products we use each day. To do this, we are becoming capable of e-mailing such things as receipts, program flyers, and other notifications. To update your information, please send us and e-mail with your name, address, phone number, birth date and your valid e-mail. It's that simple!
Click here to send us your updated information.
*The Y will NEVER share any of your information- our office use only. Birth Date is required by our system software for record-keeping purposes only.
Next page: About Us